The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) District One Bicycle Plan will be one of eight district-level bicycle plans for MnDOT. The MnDOT District One Plan will align with the Statewide Bicycle System Plan and will be individually tailored to District One, and will assist District One in identifying needs and prioritizing bicycle investments on the State Trunk Highway system.
The MnDOT District One Bicycle Plan will establish:
- Defined local bicycle routes on existing or planned facilities that will develop or connect the corridors identified in the State Bicycle Route Network (pictured);
- Priority routes for improvement and investments;
- An estimate of the cost of building a statewide bicycle system; and
- Support for local bikeway networks.
MnDOT hired Toole Design Group (TDG) to oversee development of all eight district bicycle plans. In turn, TDG contracted with the Arrowhead Regional Development Commission (ARDC) to convene a group of local bicycle stakeholders (bicycle technical advisory committee) for the MnDOT District One Bicycle Plan development and to assist in the District One planning process.
Tasks and Timeline
Development of the MnDOT District One Bicycle Plan includes the tasks below. The planning process started in June 2017 and will officially conclude in June 2018.
- Establish a process for developing a District level plan and regional Technical Advisory Committees (TACs) within District One – Spring 2017
- Conduct System analysis of District One – Summer 2017
- Establish regional priorities and identify projects and fill gaps that support local and regional bicycle networks – Fall 2017
- Identify regional priorities and local system needs
- Project prioritization
- Develop reference guide for scoping bicycle projects
- Develop one to three projects statewide from scoping to preliminary engineering with maintenance and operations considerations included in the design – Winter 2017/2018 (Postponed to Fall 2018)
- Develop District One Bicycle Plan – Spring 2018 (Postponed to Fall 2018)